Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pondering and Living Life

Day 138 - 140 (Tues, March 27 – Thurs 29, 2012): Our last day at Marsh Harbor. Kind of sad, although we say we will be back, you never know. I really like this place. I hope we do head back here. Simply love it. Heading back to the US, I have mixed emotions. On one hand, anxious to do some repairs on Gaia. On another hand, hate to see this adventure coming to an end. On yet another hand, really glad we found Marsh Harbor Marina (the other side of the harbor). I would not feel like I had found “my haven” if we hadn’t stopped here. I needed this to feel like the “exit” was worth it. And another hand, still a little raw from the corporate world. I need to ensure that the personal boundaries I set up stay in place. I can’t afford to lose myself in it again. So needless to say, a little hesitant. Still a little soon but I can do it, I need to so that we can make the updates to Gaia. Plus, Patrick is skeptical that I can land a couple of consulting jobs. Need to prove it to him. So with all of those hands (thinking it is like Vishnu when you add up all the hands), you can see why I am reluctant to leave.

Yesterday, we met Gerry O for a spectacular day. It was so great seeing him. We rented a car and drove to Treasure Island. Very interesting drive. The terrain of the inner island is unique. Less arid than the Exumas but still a pretty dry place. Lots of small palms. We met Gerry at Treasure Island Marina. He looked great. The Dr.’s boat he sailed over on was sweet… a Hylas. Very pretty. We had a beer, ate some lunch (burgers on the beach) and Patrick talked to the folks at Treasure Island Resort. Unfortunately, there had been a plane crash and Patrick’s friend that he met with Al and Ellen was in Nassau dealing with the aftermath of the crash. One of the owners of the Resort, his family and pets had been on the plane. Very sad! Grab life to the fullest while you can. After lunch, we headed back to Marsh Harbor with Gerry. He wanted to see Gaia and the other Whitbys at the marina. In total, there were 3 Whitbys and one Brewer (a veritable rendezvous). We carefully checked out the hard top on the one Whitby that we have been admiring. Very, very nice and it met with Gerry’s approval too. After a short nap back on Gaia, we went dinner at The Jib Room. Wed night ribs, and they were great. Super evening, crisp cool island air, great food and boat conversation.  We took Gerry back to Treasure Island and then headed home. He was going to fly home via the charter the Dr. had coming in on Thurs (for wedding guests). We will email Gerry when we get to Great Sale Cay. He may fly back over to do the crossing with us… All in all, great day!!!  Good to see Gerry and super happy he is doing well. He didn’t miss a beat, dueling with Patrick. All in good fun but you have to know, trust and care for someone to joust – just like the Whitby Rendezvous.
So today, will plot our course back home on the chart plotter. Tomorrow early, will head up to Green Turtle. Patrick is very anxious to show this place to me for some reason. And on our crossing, we will do a detailed list of all boat enhancements. It has grown… this trip was tremendous for identifying what we would like to do, what must be done and how we can make future trips much more comfortable and safe.
And for personal discoveries… so many in this last leg of our trip, not sure what to share or where to begin. What do I want to do when I grow up?… paint if possible. What do I need in my life?...some great friends like the folks we have met cruising this year, proximity to my family, palm trees, birds, tree frogs, an occasional thunder storm, spray off the bow of my boat, some good tunes, a marina that is quaint/not pretentious and the excitement of another leg of our journey (wherever that may be). Am I greedy or selfish?




























No comments:

Post a Comment