Monday, December 12, 2011

Jaws of the Alligator

Day 8 (Sun, Nov 20): From Coinjock south, we traveled through the North River and Abemarley Sound. Very interesting place. Part swamp, part inland sea and just on the cusp of the south. We made it past the “jaws of the alligator” as Al calls it, and into a nice anchorage for the evening. The spot Al refers to is where he, Patrick and Ellen were grounded previously. A nasty spot and they had extremely bad weather. They had to kedge to pull Phoenix off the grounding. But, the charts have been updated since the time that Phoenix was grounded, plus we were very, very careful. We made it through the spot without incident. That said, I did get Gaia hung up for a short bit early in the day in the “wiggles.” Man do I hate the wiggles. Tight turns, very little water to work with (narrow channel) and it seems to go on forever. I did get her “unstuck” myself though so I somewhat redeemed myself. We anchored at Sandy Point – nice anchorage and we did some “housework and boat cleaning.”



No comments:

Post a Comment